Monday, May 28, 2012

DIY project

I have antiqued/tea stained a number of pieces of furniture in my house, coffee and end tables, bar stools, a bench and a buffet. These were not in a set but all did start out with either raw wood or butcher block wood as a base.  The above is the after picture of my buffet.


Well this is the before. Simple white buffet with butcher block wood accents. I did the shelving half first and then the bottom half. I sanded the entire piece and painted the white with two more coats of flat white paint. I then used Ralph Lauren's tea stain and painted it on using a basic paint brush and then wiped it off. You can only wipe once with this treatment so in some areas I did do a second coat to get the desired effect. I stained the natural wood on the top of each section with Minwax's Provential stain, using two coats as well and then used Minwax's polyurethane on the entire piece to give it a shine and protect it. The butcher block top has been give two coats of polyurethane as it is the most likely part of the furniture to have a cup/soda or who knows what else set on it without a coaster.

As I said I have done this to a number of pieces in my home and have created a cohesive look from very different types of furniture. It is really pretty easy and just requires some patience while waiting for the number of coats to dry. I hope this explanation is understandable and if you have any questions feel free to put them in the comments. Happy DIYing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment