Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ahh the cupboard!

Okay so here is the finished cupboard..the one I kept redoing until I got it almost perfect. It was an ugly mess when my brother in law gave it to me. I don't know what possessed me to keep it other than I kept thinking the Yin needed a little piece in her room.

I need a better camera for these pictures; but for now just make do with me please.

Here it is..I wasn't kidding..ugly and it smelled bad, so bad I didn't even want it in the garage..it got to live on the back porch.


And the top notice the levels of paint?

The entire piece had layers and layers of paint..inside and out.

But now it is so pretty!
 
 
 
Here is a close up of the clear cut knob, Yin loves her bling.
 

 
 
The new top illustrates the techniques I used.





I left the inside the original hummingbird egg blue.

 
 
As I wrote yesterday I had painted a light yellow dry stroke coat over the color you now see inside. I then made a wash of the turquoise and did two coats over the yellow. The door is slightly more blue than the actual cupboard itself now but not too much so. I let the paint dry and then roughed up the paint job a bit and applied minwax's provincial stain, wiping it off almost immediately. Two coats of poly and it was done. I choose to use poly because it is going in Yin's room and this will provide a better protective barrier than wax.
 
What do you think? Any questions?  I'd love to hear from you in the comments.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment