Friday, February 1, 2013

Spelling

I am not the world's greatest speller, but once upon a time I wasn't a bad one either. I also used to get horrible week long migraine headaches and my doctor prescribed a medication, that no joke, had the side effect of me forgetting how to spell, not completely; but enough so that I had to keep a dictionary close by, at all times, to look up simple spellings. I spell better now than I did 6 years ago, but not as well as I did 10 years ago.

My girls are dyslexic and dysgraphic. Spelling is a nightmare. With Yang, the oldest, I could reasonably help her with spelling. Poor Yin, we spend a lot of time looking up words and memorizing spelling words. Yin's homework for spelling this week, which she forgot(ADHD at your service), was a list of her spelling words...MISSPELLED. This was a nightmare for the kid who moves letters about and adds E's where none are needed. It was also a nightmare for me because she remembered it, in the car, driving to school. Thank heavens for smart phones!

I explained how the phone will correctly spell words for you if you type in the general gist. I'm driving and she is trying to look up words on the phone. We ended up sitting in the parking lot for 10 minutes using the phone to correctly spell the misspelled words. 10 years ago I could have rattled them off, but today, nope just like my girls I need assisted spelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment