Saturday, February 2, 2013

The cupboard is finished!

Okay, so the cupboard, or tiny cabinet, is almost finished. About 6 months ago my brother in law gave me this little cupboard; one door, three shelves, in rough shape and it smelled horrible. But I kept looking at it thinking that it would be wonderful in Yin's room. In the next month or so I am going to be redoing all her furniture and I thought I could refurbish the cupboard to complement what I intend to do with her furniture.

 It took me 2 days to sand and sanitize it. It was covered in 3 coats of paint, each one uglier than the next, on top an army green, under that a maroon, and finally on bottom a white. I sanded and sanded and sanded. I filled two funny little holes in the top of the cupboard and then I sanded some more. The real crazy of the last seven months began and I walked away and into my caretaker role in our family.

Back in December I painted the cupboard a hummingbird egg blue, turquoise really; but no, it didn't work for me.  I then painted one dry brushed coat of yellow over it and it got better but still wasn't what I wanted. Who knew that one tiny little cupboard could be so difficult. Creative inspiration hit finally this week and I went to work. I just put the last coat of poly on and it should be dry by tomorrow morning and after church I can reattach the door, put a cute knob on the door, and pictures!

I can't wait to show y'all and explain how the final product came about! Just had to share my excitement and tease you a bit. Come back tomorrow for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment